Date: 10th March 2017; 11th or 12th Jumada ath-Thāniya 1438;
ISLAMIC AL-JUMUAA REMINDER AND LEGACY GROUP, (http://aljumaareminder.com/), the Truth:
WHY MOST PEOPLE CAN’T BEAR THE TRUTH?
The truth can often be harsh. The truth can be scary. The truth can be embarrassing. The truth can be costly. Yes, for all these reasons, and more, most people can’t handle the truth. And because they can’t handle truth, they learn to hate it. That’s right, instead of loving truth, most people try to make true that which they love. They much prefer the comfort of self-delusion to the pain often associated with truth. [Source: http://beforeitsnews.com/financial-markets/2013/08/quote-of-the-day-most-people-cant-handle-the-truth-2587186.html)
It is difficult to find someone who is interested in the truth but it is much more difficult to find someone who is not only interested in knowing the truth but is also interested in following it no matter what. Sadly, not many people are moved by the truth. Following the truth is not difficult if you think deeply about it.
…And Allah is (always no matter) Able to do everything. (Qur’an 18:45): The Arabic word ‘kaana’ in Qur’an 18:45 is what emphasizes that Allah is always able to do everything and which removes the doubt that Allah will be overpowered in the past, now or in the future because there will never exist two beings who can claim to be able to do everything. It is much more logical that only One (Allah) can do so. That means if you make it to Paradise you never have to worry that the pleasures will end because Allah will at some point not be able to do everything. Allah is the Most Truthful especially in (Qur’an 18:45).
A normal person would want to follow the strongest being and submit to Him, right? We agree that the most powerful being is Allah. He says so many times in the Quran that He is the All-Mighty. Luckily for us, He is also our Creator, the Most Merciful, the Most Just etc. The 99 names define Allah in a way that is most beneficial to us. For example the Christians wrongfully worship ‘Iesa (Jesus) or Mary (Maryam) because they believe they are holy while we Muslims worship Allah who is the Most Holy.
Now how do we communicate with Allah? It seems we can’t because Allah has already sent Messengers to give us our Message. Why couldn’t Allah speak with us directly? Why do we have to follow another human being? Well it is because that human being has been chosen by Allah and that person is better than us. Yes, Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is better than us and we agree. Let us not be stubborn and arrogant and let us follow this Prophet patiently and by doing so we will eventually meet Allah.
But hey, this Messenger is way better than us and we are beginning to love him; no wonder he was chosen. We suddenly feel this urge to follow Prophet Muhammad (SAW) willingly to please Allah. There are people (especially Prophets) who are better than us and it is foolishness not to follow and obey these Prophets because of arrogance and pride.
It is as if Allah is telling us, “If you really want to meet Me and enter My Paradise, then pass this test by following and obeying this Prophet whom I have chosen for you”
Now, the passage above is an oversimplification of how one can enter Islam. But sadly many people don’t follow the strongest being because they are too proud. Check out these examples to see how people still stick with the weaker:
- For example in sports, people usually choose the best team (in their opinion) and follow it; but some are stubborn and will remain supportive of the team even if the team only has a coach and has no players in it.
- For example in the office, your boss tells you to witness and record an interest (riba) transaction. What will you do? The constitution of the state allows you to proceed while Allah has prohibited you to proceed. Allah is the strongest and we have to follow Him, right? Many people know that interest is not allowed by the All-Mighty but people still deal in interest knowing full well that those who allow them to comfortably deal in interest will one day die. They are not worried about Allah who will never die and will resurrect them.
- For example in the religion of Christianity there are some who decided that ‘Iesa (Jesus) should be worshipped because they believe he is the son of god. Well, we know ‘Iesa (Jesus) is weaker than Allah and Maryam (Mary)? The Bible has many proofs of how Allah is more powerful than Maryam (Mary) and ‘Iesa (Jesus) and yet they (Christians) make them all equal to feel good on focusing on ‘Iesa (Jesus). No wait, they removed Mary (Maryam) from the so called trinity and substituted the Holy Spirit while without Mary (Maryam) there would be no ‘Iesa (Jesus).
- For example in the religion of Christianity there are some who decided that Maryam should be worshipped because she gave birth to ‘Iesa (Jesus) who they believe is a god. This category of Christians has at least tried to contemplate more but it is still not enough. Yes, they realized that Mary (Maryam) is stronger than ‘Iesa (Jesus) and are now focusing on her but what about Allah who is much greater? We are left speechless at this attitude of rejecting Allah; if Allah has guided you to Worship Him Alone; then be very grateful.
In these examples above we see that all groups mentioned above are extremely stubborn. Many people are not moved by logic/truth so there has to be another reason as to why these people are so stubborn. Well what makes it difficult for them to accept the truth? It is pride and desires.
Who is he that can provide for you if He should withhold His provision? Nay, but they continue to be in pride, and (they) flee (from the truth). (Qur’an 67:21)
Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: When Allah created Paradise, He said to Gabriel: Go and look at it. He went and looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might, no one who hears of it will fail to enter it. He then surrounded it with disagreeable things, and said: Go and look at it, Gabriel. He went and looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might, I am afraid that no one will enter it. When Allah created Hell, He said: Go and look at it, Gabriel. He went and looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might, no one who hears of it will enter it. He then surrounded it with desirable things and said: Go and look at it, Gabriel. He went, looked at it, then came and said: O my Lord! By Thy might and power, I am afraid that no one will remain who does not enter it. [Sunan Abi Dawud 4744] [Hasan Sahih (Al-Albani)]
For example Fir’aun and his chiefs did not want to follow Musa because they knew that if they submitted they would have to be like the other normal people and lose their power and status quo so they rebelled and became stubborn with pride even though they were certain about Allah as seen in (Qur’an 27:14). They desired the life of this world.
Verily, those who hope not for their meeting with Us, but are pleased and satisfied with the life of the present world, and those who are heedless of Our Ayat (signs) those, their abode will be the Fire, because of what they used to earn. (Qur’an 10:7-8)
It is a formula that if you are pleased with this life you will no matter what earn sins to get you to the Hell Fire. The ultimate sin most likely being Shirk. https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/forest+for+the+trees.html: One can lose the forest for the trees. If someone can’t see the forest for the trees, they get so caught up in small details that they fail to understand the bigger picture. Our purpose is much higher than serving our desires and acting arrogantly; our purpose can be seen in (Qur’an 51:56) below:
And I (Allah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone) (Qur’an 51:56)
Yes, it is difficult for a man to refuse attractive non-mahram women but it will pay of later in the Hereafter. The weight and decision of free will is really put to work in this world. You are not an animal whom when the desires comes can fulfill them without fear of consequences and you are not an angel whom you can do good deeds easily. You need practice.
For example; A human is born greedy and though giving charity constantly he gains the ability to not be greedy. A person who lets his desires run loose such as by always drinking alcohol will find it very difficult to stop drinking alcohol even if he wants to stop and knows the harms it causes and will most likely fail to perform prayers no matter how important he knows they are.
By no means shall you attain Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, etc.), unless you spend (in Allah’s Cause) of that which you love; and whatever of good you spend, Allah knows it well. (Qur’an 3:92)
As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah and fears Him, and believes in Al-Husna. We will make smooth for him the path of ease (goodness). But he who is greedy miser and thinks himself self-sufficient. And gives the lie to Al-Husna; We will make smooth for him the path for evil; (Qur’an 92:5-10)
No pain no gain. This is normal way of life. When you get into Paradise you will appreciate it more and not regret the pains you had to go through for following the truth. An example which can be seen in this world is that of a normal mother who goes through the inconveniences that come with pregnancy but after giving birth she has no ill feelings towards the child. She loves and appreciates the child even though the child caused her to bleed so much and she almost died. No pain no gain.159 - IARLG - WHY MOST PEOPLE CAN’T BEAR THE TRUTH; Date 10th March 2017; 11th or 12th Jumada ath-Thāniya 1438 (119 downloads)
- IARLG - Articles 1 to 57 (397 downloads)
- IARLG - Articles 58-66, 72-73, 81-82, 93-108, 110-112 & 121-122 (388 downloads)
- IARLG - Updated - YA’JUJ AND MA’JUJ (GOG AND MAGOG) – Articles 83-92, 109, 124, 139-146 (442 downloads)
- IARLG - Jinns & Magicians – Articles 67-71, 74-80, 113-120, 123, 125-136 (398 downloads)